Here we are starting a series of photos of Rawdon dating back to the turn of the 20th century. Many buildings are still in existence, some changed dramatically. Unfortunately, many more have fallen victim to the wrecking ball. How many can you recognize?
Lower Metcalfe Street

This view was taken from Church Street. The gate in the foreground is most likely that to the entrance of the old barracks building. At this time it was used by the Presbyterian Church. (See The Barracks)

On the extreme right is the Anglican Church built in 1857. Notice the sheds that run along the side of 3rd Avenue. Churches had such structures mainly to house the horses of parishioners while they were at worship. Early in the 20th century, this building collapsed under the weight of snow.
The materials that could be salvaged were purchased by the owner of Haddad’s Restaurant (later Barrie’s and then Cascades) on Queen Street and used to add a dance hall to the back of his restaurant.

The roof barely visible just to the left of the church was originally Firmin Dugas’ General Store on Metcalfe Street. Dugas moved his business up to Queen Street and Wencelas Paradis moved in with his men’s wear store. Likely Paradis was there when this photo was taken.

About 1924 Paradis sold this building and moved up to Queen Street, into Dugas’  building. The house, with the store attached at the side, was purchased by Richard Blagrave.

lowermetcalfe-rawdon
For many years his wife, Mabel Parkinson, ran a boarding house there. Finally, about 2004, the house fell victim to the wreckers’ ball to enlarge the parking lot for the Metro. Holiday’s General Store is the darker building on the corner. (See Holiday Store)
RHS ON FACEBOOK

YES WE'RE ON FACEBOOK TOO MEET THE RAWDON HISTORICAL SOCIETY GROUP BY CLICKING HERE

rhs
| George Coppings Journal | Jedediah Hubbell Dorwin | A Brief History of Rawdon| Railways of Rawdon | Historical Society |
VOTRE ANNONCE ICI
YOUR AD IN HERE
The RAWDON HISTORICAL SOCIETY
IS HOSTED ON THE
RAWDON-QC NETWORK
COPYRIGHT 2011 SOLORAMA FOR RAWDON HISTORICAL SOCIETY